Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The struggle never dies.

So, for the longest time, I thought that writing was difficult. I struggled writing my novels, struggled figuring out the characters and the plot. But something I wasn't prepared for was the difficulty that came AFTER I had finished my novel.

Now, with a completed novel, I have begun sending out inquiries to agents to see if I could get some representation and get published. However, I am beginning to feel discouraged.

I understand that these people see thousands of manuscripts and I am sure that out of these thousands, very few are good. However, this is what they signed up for. The day that they decided that they would be agents, was the day that they commited to get thousands of unwanted writings arriving in the mail or via email. However, I can't help but to compare this to the celebrities that complain about being famous...it just comes with the territory.

Now what I can't stand, is the impersonal nature of the rejections. If I spend 30 minutes, personally curtailing a query to an agent, I am astounded that they can't even spend the time to cut and past my name into a pre-existing rejection letter and call it a day! I have gotten several: "Dear Author, We apologize for the impersonal nature of this rejection."

Hmmm....

I apologize that you're an asshole.

Believe me, this is not about my rejections. I can handle those. I just wish that some agents could pull their heads out of their asses and act human. After all, almost everyone on this planet is.

No comments:

Post a Comment